Denver International Airport
- Community Art Plans
- Public Art
- Mountain West
- Community Art Plan
- Denver International Airport
Research included assessing the previous DEN Arts Program, interviewing stakeholders, analyzing the passenger experience, and more.
We developed DEN's new mission, vision, goals, and guiding principles for artwork; a framework for the public art selection process; site plans with suggested art locations and concepts, and more.
For some, airports signify the start of an exciting adventure or long-awaited journey. For others, they cause stress, anxiety, or downright disdain. No matter the type of traveler, all airport visitors are hopeful for safe and smooth travels, including easy navigation, friendly encounters, and an overall pleasant environment. And while public art may not help guarantee your flight is on time, it can certainly make your layover more engaging. And that’s where we come in.
In 2019, NINE dot ARTS was hired to develop a robust community art master plan for the Denver International Airport (DEN) to guide its public art and exhibition program and provide strategic direction for its growth and success. To complete this work, our team went through several research phases, including:
- Assessment and documentation of conditions of current DEN Arts Program
- A benchmarking study and analysis of industry standards and best practices
- Case studies to explore other exceptional airport art programs that could inform DEN’s artworks and collaborations
- Interviews, roundtable discussions, and surveys with key stakeholders
- A deep dive into the passenger experience in airport travel
After synthesizing our findings, we developed the mission, vision, and goals for DEN’s art program, outlining numerous public art and exhibition opportunities, zoning and art location placements, art concepts, and more. Further, we used research findings to support the tremendous value behind a dynamic airport art program, which can help passengers feel comfortable in an otherwise busy place, encouraging them to arrive earlier and spend more money. Artwork has the potential to:
- Increase airport revenue
- Elevate the airport brand
- Create buzz
- Create a unique sense of place that stands out in the passenger’s journey
- Enhance the passenger’s experience
- Support intuitive wayfinding
- Enrich both entertainment and relaxation areas
- Engage the greater community and city
Our team’s final community art plan guides DEN to reap these benefits and more, resulting in a one-of-a-kind experience that combines art, culture, and world-class travel. The plan amplifies DEN’s art collection in a way that meets changing traffic flows and demands of the contemporary passenger, while elevating the travel experience and offering unique perspectives of the Western region. With the airport being the first impression many travelers have of the city of Denver, the state of Colorado, and the Mountain West, our team’s plan plays a pivotal role in creating a positive and memorable experience that reflects the region’s rich history and progressive ideals.
Forget travel frustrations and airport annoyances. With an integrated public art and exhibitions program, DEN will soon be a hub for culture, connection, and modernization, strengthening its reputation as Colorado’s largest economic driver.